Art & Design
At Hextable Primary School, we are passionate about Art and Design. We aim to teach it regularly, weaved within our entire curriculum throughout the school. We believe that if Art and Design is taught well, the whole environment and curriculum is immersed into creativity, energy and innovation. As a result, we aim for every child at Hextable Primary School to maintain a positive attitude towards Art and Design and embrace the unique and diverse outcomes it produces.
Aims of the National Curriculum:In Key Stage One:
Pupils should be taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
In Key Stage Two:
Pupils should be taught:
- to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- about great artists, architects and designers in history.
Art & Design at Hextable Primary School
All children should have access to the Arts. At HPS, Art and Design presents children with a diverse range of experiences from different cultures and periods of historical significance. From The Great Fire of London in Year 1 to African Culture in Year 6. We empower children to discover great artists that will enable them to explore their own and other’s cultural heritages that are representative of the community and cultural makeup of our school. These links are important in helping the children see the integral role art plays in our everyday lives, our community, in history and the wider world.
At Hextable Primary School we are passionate about Art and Design. We aim to teach it regularly, weaved into our wider curriculum throughout the school. We believe that if Art and Design is taught well, the whole environment and curriculum is opened up to creativity, energy and innovation. As a result, we hope that all children at Hextable Primary School have a positive attitude towards Art and Design and embrace the unique and diverse outcomes it produces.
We ensure that progression is being made in children’s skills and knowledge of drawing, printing, painting, colour, sculpture, texture, and pattern, by following a skills progression document. All children have a personal sketchbook that stays with them throughout their time at Hextable, allowing them to see where they have come from and where they can go next.
‘Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making
mistakes, and having fun.’ – Mary Lou Cook
Art Club (year 5/6)
We have lots of fun at Art Club!
Art & DT Day 2022:
At Hextable Primary School, we are proud to be an Art Builders School!
In June 2022, we held a whole school art day around the theme of 'growing'.
Each year group worked as a team to create life sized, small trees out of recycled and recyclable materials.
Then, each year group created their own 'mini trees' based around a focus artist. For example, Georgia O'Keeffe, Yayoi Kusama and Van Gogh. We then collected these mini trees and created an immersive forest on our school field, which consisted of around 600 trees!
Art at Hextable Primary School:
Art at Hextable Primary School