Term 2 Topics
This term in Topic and English lessons we will be focusing around the theme of World War 2. The children really enjoyed learning about the First World War, and we're looking forward to seeing the excellent work that they will produce this term!
In Science, we will be learning about Evolution and Adaptation, identifying how and why species have changed throughout time. We will be finding out about the famous naturalist Charles Darwin, and his discoveries in the Galapagos Islands.
Term 1 Topics
For the first 2 terms we will be focusing on World Wars, encompassing the history of the periods, learning not only about the facts of the war, but also life at home, including personal stories and the effect of the war on the local area. Children are usually keen to retell stories from older relatives and also to bring in artefacts, photos, letters etc. If you are happy for them to do so, this definitely enriches the experience and we promise to take good care of them!
For Science – in term 1 – we will be focusing on Electricity. The children will learn through practical investigation and research.
We hope you have had a lovely time over the summer and we are sure you are now ready to start the new school year, so welcome to Year 6! Mr. Purton, Mrs. Chapman and Mrs. Mitchell are looking forward to getting to know you and working together so that we have a very exciting and productive year. We hope that you enjoy the new challenges and preparation for secondary school that year 6 has to offer.
We will be holding a parents meeting on Monday 17th September to discuss the exciting events and expectations of year 6! All children are very welcome!
We recommend the following website to support your children with the first term of Year 6. Please click on the links to visit the page:
Below are the list of year 6 spellings for the year. Please use them to support your children with their English.
- The class doors will be open from 8.45-9.00am. If your child arrives after this time, please take them to the school office. (School telephone number 01322 663792)
- The school day ends at 3.30pm. If you are unable to collect your child, please telephone the school office.
- In year 6 many children begin to walk home from school alone or with friends, we are happy for them to do so (as long as you are!) please could you write us a note if you would like this to happen,
- The children will be doing PE on Monday and Friday. However, sometimes plans change, so we would ask that children have their PE kit in school everyday please. For the colder months this can include jogging bottoms.
- Please make sure your child’s water bottle is in school every day and that their name is written clearly on the bottle. Please provide children with a pencil case containing handwriting pen, pencil, whiteboard pen, coloured pens/pencils, rubber, ruler, glue stick and sharpener.
- Home learning will continue to be given out on Thursday and is to be returned by Tuesday please.