Welcome to Year 4
Our Year 4 classes are:
Mandela taught by Mrs Fleming and Mr Kitchener
Nightingale taught by Miss Church and Mrs Butler.
We have settled into our new year group and classrooms well and we are ready to begin Term 2.
We have lots to look forward to!
In English, we are currently writing both chronological and non-chronological reports. After this, we will be making links with our Topic again by reading 'How To Train Your Dragon' by Cressida Cowell. We will base our writing and learning around this book and then, will compare it to the film version at the end of the term.
In Maths, we are currently working on finding the perimeter of rectangular shapes using centimetres, metres and kilometres. We will then be moving onto multiplication and division, whilst practising all of our times tables up to 12 x 12.
We have enjoyed our learning on perimeter so far, and have been working on our problem solving and reasoning skills using RUCSAC.
R - read
U - underline
C - calculate
S - solve
A - answer
C - check
We will be continuing our topic of Invaders and Settlers. Last term, we focussed on the Anglo-Saxons. We discussed how and why they invaded Britain, wrote our names using their alphabet (runes), and we made links in our English, by creating and imagining our own mythical creatures and using them in our own mythical stories. In DT, we designed and created our own Anglo-Saxon shields by looking carefully at the different designs and colours we could use.
This term we will be focussing on the Vikings. We will learn all about where they come from, their everyday life, homes and settlements and how they influenced history. In DT, we will also be creating our own Viking long ships.
Our science topic last term was all about Sound. We learnt how sound travels through vibrations, and discussed how and why people may hear sounds differently. We also learnt about the inside of our ears and tried to label them with their scientific names.
This term our science topic is Electricity. We will be learning all about electrical current and building our own electrical circuits. We will talk about how to stay safe with electrical items and discuss different types of energy sources.
Year 4 Spellings:
Below are the list of Year 4 expected spellings. We need to see children use these and others, following the spelling rules and patterns, within their independent writing. Your support with the learning of them is much appreciated. They will be in the front of their Home Learning books.
- The class doors will be open from 8.45-9.00am. If your child arrives after this time, please take them to the school office. (School telephone number 01322 663792)
- The school day ends at 3.30pm. If you are unable to collect your child, please telephone the school office.
- The children will be doing PE on Tuesday and Thursday. However, sometimes plans change, so we would ask that children have their PE kit in school everyday please. For the colder months this can include jogging bottoms.
- Please make sure your child’s water bottle is in school every day and that their name is written clearly on the bottle. Please provide children with a pencil case containing: pencil, whiteboard pen, coloured pens/pencils, rubber, ruler, glue stick and sharpener.
- Home learning will continue to be given out on Thursday and is to be returned by Tuesday please.