For curriculum week, year 4 explored the crashed car using literacy, maths and art to try to get to the bottom of the mystery. Writing was very creative with amazing stories from different genres including fantasy, crime, mystery and sci-fi. In maths, we were linking our learning to Harry Potter, measuring weight, length and capacity through a range of problems.
In English this term we have been learning about myths and legends. We have thought about the main features of myths and legends, and have had great fun creating characters, creatures and settings when telling stories. We have enjoyed thinking about the legend of Robin Hood and trying to understand how characters might be feeling throughout the story.
This term we have been learning about sound in science. We have found out about how sound is measured, how we can hear different pitches of sound and why sounds are louder and quieter. To finish off the unit of science, we made string telephones, to see if sound would travel through them. They worked!!
In Year 4 we have been learning the french vocabulary for parts of the body. We have played some games, and have even learnt the French for Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes! Here is Mandela class performing it!
Welcome to Year 4 !
We hope you have had a lovely summer and are now ready to start the new school year, so welcome to Year 4! This year the Year 4 team is Mr. Purton and Miss Coulson. We are both new to Year 4, but are extremely excited for the challenges ahead! We are also looking forward to getting to know you and working together so that we have a very exciting and productive year.
We will be holding a Meet the Teacher meeting on Thursday 22nd September at 3:00 - 3:30 to discuss the exciting events and expectations of year 4. We look forward to meeting you.
Term 1 Topics
For the first term we will be focusing on Invaders and Settlers, including the Anglo-Saxons, Vikings and Scots. We will be learning about where they came from, and all aspects of their everyday life including warriors, homes and settlements.
For Science we will be focusing on Sound. The children will learn through practical investigation and research.
We recommend the following website to support your children with the first term of Year 4. Please click on the links to visit the page:
Year 4 Spellings
Below are the list of year 4 spellings for the year. Please use them to support your children with their English.
- The class doors will be open from 8.45-9.00am. If your child arrives after this time, please take them to the school office. (School telephone number 01322 663792)
- The school day ends at 3.30pm. If you are unable to collect your child, please telephone the school office.
- The children will be doing PE on Monday and Thursday. However, sometimes plans change, so we would ask that children have their PE kit in school everyday please. For the colder months this can include jogging bottoms.
- Please make sure your child’s water bottle is in school every day and that their name is written clearly on the bottle. Please provide children with a pencil case containing: pencil, whiteboard pen, coloured pens/pencils, rubber, ruler, glue stick and sharpener.
- Home learning will continue to be given out on Thursday and is to be returned by Tuesday please