Welcome to Year 4
Our Year 4 classes are:
Mandela taught by Mrs Fleming and Mr Kitchener
Nightingale taught by Miss Church and Mrs Butler.
We hope that you have enjoyed the February holiday and are ready for a new term!
Thank you very much to all of the parents who have supported us with swimming this past term, we are half way there and have three sessions to go. We are very grateful and the children are enjoying the opportunity to swim each week.
The last three dates for swimming are: Tuesday 20th Feb, Tuesday 27th Feb and Tuesday 6th March.
In English, we will be reading a story based around our current topic of 'Ancient Egyptians'. We will then move onto looking at persuasive writing and using persuasive techniques in our own writing.
Remember to practice your weekly spellings for our tests on Mondays, and a HUGE well done to everyone in Year 4 for completing the 'Big Spell', which compromises a selection of the spellings we need to know by the end of the year. Lots of children managed to improve their score from before Christmas, and some children even got them all correct - well done!
In Maths, we have been focusing on multiplication and division and using our multiplication facts to solve problems. We will be working on fractions this term, including ordering, converting and adding and subtracting.
We have enjoyed our learning in Maths so far, and have been working on our problem solving and reasoning skills using RUCSAC.
R - read
U - underline
C - calculate
S - solve
A - answer
C - check
We will be continuing our topic of 'Ancient Egyptians' this term. So far, we have learnt all about the Ancient Egyptian way of life, their beliefs and their Pharaohs. We have enjoyed creating different forms of art relating to our topic including drawing 3D pyramids and a portrait of Tutankhamen. This term we will be learning about all of the Egyptian Gods and the special talents that they were worshiped for.
Our science topic last term was all about Animals Including Humans, we focused on the digestive system and created a real life version of the human digestive system from beginning to end! We also investigated our teeth and learnt the scientific names for them, we then compared them to different animal teeth and discussed how and why they might be different.
This term our science topic is 'States of Matter'. We will be investigating solids, liquids and gases and how they may look and feel. We will then move onto investigating heating and cooling water and recording the changes. We will finish by researching and learning all about the water cycle.
Year 4 Spellings:
Below are the list of Year 4 expected spellings. We need to see children use these and others, following the spelling rules and patterns, within their independent writing. Your support with the learning of them is much appreciated. They will be in the front of their Home Learning books.
- The class doors will be open from 8.45-9.00am. If your child arrives after this time, please take them to the school office. (School telephone number 01322 663792)
- The school day ends at 3.30pm. If you are unable to collect your child, please telephone the school office.
- The children will be doing PE on Tuesday and Thursday. However, sometimes plans change, so we would ask that children have their PE kit in school everyday please. For the colder months this can include jogging bottoms.
- Please make sure your child’s water bottle is in school every day and that their name is written clearly on the bottle. Please provide children with a pencil case containing: pencil, whiteboard pen, coloured pens/pencils, rubber, ruler, glue stick and sharpener.
- Home learning will continue to be given out on Thursday and is to be returned by Tuesday please.