Welcome to Year 4
Our Year 4 classes are:
Mandela taught by Mrs Fleming, Mrs Potter and Miss Hammond
Nightingale taught by Miss Church and Mrs Butler.
We hope that you have enjoyed the half term and are ready for our last term in Year 4!
This term we will be taking part in weekly cricket lessons which we are very excited about.
We also have our upcoming trip to Hever Castle on 10th July.
Our class assemblies are fast approaching, we are looking forward to showing off all of our current learning.
Feel free to come along, we will be serving teas, coffees and bacon rolls before our performances.
Nightingale's assembly - 9:15 on Friday 27th April
Mandela's assembly - 9:15 on Friday 22nd June
In English, we will be reading a story from the Power of Reading scheme called Mouse Bird Snake Wolf by David Almond. The children will be exploring a variety of drama activities relating to the story and we are looking forward to getting started!
Remember to practice your weekly spellings for our tests on Mondays, and a HUGE well done to everyone in Year 4 for completing the 'Big Spell', which compromises a selection of the spellings we need to know by the end of the year. Lots of children managed to improve their score from before Christmas, and some children even got them all correct - well done!
In Maths, we will be focussing on statistics. This will include interpreting and creating a variety of graphs. We will then move onto position and direction of shape as well as geometry.
We have enjoyed our learning in Maths so far, and have been working on our problem solving and reasoning skills using RUCSAC.
R - read
U - underline
C - calculate
S - solve
A - answer
C - check
We will be continuing our topic of 'The Americas' in our final term. So far, we have researched the geographical aspects of this topic through learning the different states and researching different landmarks within America. In our final term, we will be focussing on Native Americans and researching various tribes and learning all about their way of life.
Our science topic this term is All Living Things. We will be grouping and classifying animals focusing on their appearance, habitats and similarities. We will then move onto looking at their environments and how they pose dangers for all living things. We have also linked our Science topic with 'The Americas', we will be focussing on the Amazon Rainforest and researching the various animals living in the rain forest, their habitats and the dangers that face them.
Year 4 Spellings:
Below are the list of Year 4 expected spellings. We need to see children use these and others, following the spelling rules and patterns, within their independent writing. Your support with the learning of them is much appreciated. They will be in the front of their Home Learning books.
- The class doors will be open from 8.45-9.00am. If your child arrives after this time, please take them to the school office. (School telephone number 01322 663792)
- The school day ends at 3.30pm. If you are unable to collect your child, please telephone the school office.
- The children will be doing PE on Tuesday and Thursday. However, sometimes plans change, so we would ask that children have their PE kit in school everyday please. For the colder months this can include jogging bottoms.
- Please make sure your child’s water bottle is in school every day and that their name is written clearly on the bottle. Please provide children with a pencil case containing: pencil, whiteboard pen, coloured pens/pencils, rubber, ruler, glue stick and sharpener.
- Home learning will continue to be given out on Thursday and is to be returned by Tuesday please.